Saturday 28 August 2010

Masculin Féminin

If you've been following my blog, you'll have probably noticed that I'm a self proclaimed tomboy. To me there is nothing more appealing than a woman dressed in a man's clothes. Ever since I was little, I would always be the girl dressed in the denim romper climbing trees and role playing Star Wars with my partner in crime (I assumed the role of Han Solo, he Luke Skywalker.) Whether it be down to my boyish figure (read: flat chested and gangly) or my attempts to break the mould in an all girls' school, my style has always bordered on the side boyish. My look has definitely evolved since my school days and now I've discovered that dressing with a tomboy edge needn't mean sacrificing femininity - my peter pan collared dresses are toughened up with mannish brogues or lace up ankle boots and my off duty uniform of white shirt, cropped trousers and penny loafers are made more feminine with a bow tied in my hair à la Brigitte Bardot. Despite the fashion forecast for this season being all about the new womanly silhouette, I'd still rather be in the boyish camp, embracing the new trouser shapes and array of capes on offer. After all, who wouldn't want to be associated with a band of women that includes such style icons as Charlotte Gainsbourg, Lou Doillon, Annie Hall, Alexa Chung and Katherine Hepburn?

7 comments:

  1. I love Frida's outfit here... I'm really impressed by how mature she looks for her age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that I could pull off this look but my short hair just makes me look like a boy with boobs if I wear trousers! There are some gorgeous trousers around at the moment though xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. true true! i'm a self proclaimed tomboy as well.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I had the two same words in my head a few days ago. I love 'masculin féminin' clothing! I like contrasts, something feminine like a delicate blouse worn with chinos.
    I love the looks you posted, very inspiring!;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are all so beautiful! just an f.y.i., that third photo is by phil oh of streetpeeper for sportsgirl: http://www.sportsgirl.com.au/photos/photo/london-6/128/style-snaps/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog through Garance - love it! The striped girl on the bottom left looks so adorable. I wish I could pull off that style. I'll be back to visit!
    Bon Jour!

    ReplyDelete