Friday 17 August 2012

Interview: Nicola Elliott, NEOM Luxury Organics
































After 7 years in the fashion industry as an editor for In Style and Glamour magazines, Nicola Elliott turned her hand to natural beauty co-founding luxury, organic bath and body products range NEOM with business partner Oliver Mennell in 2005. Since then NEOM has gone from strength to strength with a fan base including Kate Moss and Sienna Miller. I caught up with Nicola to discuss the benefits of organic beauty and her must-have beauty products.

Hi Nicola. Tell us about yourself. How did you get into beauty? Before creating Neom Luxury Organics, I studied Art History at Northumbria University, and then spent seven years as an Editor at In Style and Glamour amongst other consumer magazines where I was constantly surrounded by beauty products; it was the start of the beauty bug!

What made you create Neom? Was there a particular event that triggered it or have you been an advocate of organic living your entire life? I have to admit I haven’t been an advocate of organic living my whole life. My sister Katie was the real environmentalist in the family and used to work at Friends of the Earth. One Christmas, I was searching for a gift for Katie which was high in organic content but would also make a gorgeous and luxurious gift and I couldn’t find a single one that fit that description. After more research and attending night classes in aromatherapy whilst I was still working at Glamour, I embarked upon Neom and made it my ambition to provide luxurious and glam products that are made with only the finest organic ingredients and essential oils.

Neom uses only natural, organic ingredients. Why do you think people should use organic products? After I learnt that our skin absorbs up to 60% of substances used on it and its only 2mm thick it hit me and I had to find an alternative. Women everywhere were covering their bodies in over 200 chemicals daily, including petrochemicals, SLS, parabens and pegs. I believe it is essential that every person where possible opt for an organic alternative.

Tell us about the manufacturing process. We buy oils and extracts from different countries and make them up in small bottles so we can test every 500 products.

What tips do you have for blending your own essential oils? Rose is a perfect oil for comforting and when relaxing use a few drops in a bath, lavender is great for after sun, and peppermint for after exercise!

What is your favourite product from the range? That is such a tricky question but the one I would have to say at the moment is our Real Luxury Body Scrub, I find with two small children I have to often skip a step in my beauty regime and this product is perfect for just that! It scrubs away all the dead skin cells and being packed full of jojoba it acts as a moisturiser too,  it is my beauty savior.

What are your 5 beauty essentials? Trilogy’s organic Rosehip oil, I use it under my face cream for added TLC. Butter London 3 Free Nail Lacquer in Blowing Raspberries, it is my favourite all time colour, Cellular Protection Sun Cream SPF 30 from the organic Pharmacy, Neom Real Luxury Body Oil and Dr. Hauschka Rozen Crème.

Describe your perfect day. I love living in Yorkshire and one of the reasons I love it so much is the countryside. My perfect day would most likely be a day at the farm with my children and husband or a walk along the Yorkshire Dales or better yet, a trip down to Ripley, they do the best ice cream there.

NEOM is available to purchase here

1 comment: